Do-nothing Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has been doing some big talking over the past few days. He’s spending money, making trades, making the Mets better. I’ll believe it when I see it.
Appearing on WFAN last week, Alderson said after watching the team over the past few years, “Maybe it’s time to make some moves.” Welcome to the party, Sandy. He also said he wouldn’t hesitate to spend upwards of $12 million on a left handed hitting outfielder (even though the Mets have too much lefty hitting, but that’s besides the point).
On Sunday Alderson addressed a few hundred season-ticket holders at Citi Field. He talked about next year’s budget.
“I have not talked to Fred (Wilpon) or anyone else about where that payroll is going to be, but I’m hopeful we’ll be in the same range if not somewhat higher.”
Does anyone else believe that Alderson has not discussed next year’s payroll with his owner? And does anyone else believe the payroll will be higher than this year’s $95 million? This is the same man who said at various times last year that the payroll would be $120 million, between $110-$120 million, around $100 million, then closer to $90 million.
He also said he plans on extending David Wright and R.A. Dickey, who both have team options for 2013.
“It’s not our intention to simply rely on those options and go into next season and deal with their free agency after 2013. We’re going to deal with it up front while we still have a little bit of room to maneuver. But we’re committed to trying to bring those two back. I hope they’ll both be back and I’m excited about the possibilities they will be.”
This is the same man who about the same time last year said that he had every intention of re-signing Jose Reyes, then didn’t even make him an offer.
I’m not calling Sandy Alderson a liar; I’ll just say that his past statements have been less than truthful, so take his new talk with many, many grains of salt.