Frank Francisco Shut Down
Well, that was quick — the Mets have shut down Frank Francisco with inflammation in his allegedly surgically-repaired right elbow.
ESPNNewYork.com reports that the problem occurred after the closer threw on flat ground last week.
“I talked to him last week,” Terry Collins said. “He did play catch. There was some inflammation in there. The training staff, they were prepared for it, for sure. They thought it might happen. So we just want to quiet the swelling down before he plays catch.”
Francisco said it is similar to what he felt in his elbow at the end of last season.
“I’m just dealing with the same stuff,” Francisco said. “I was playing catch. My inflammation hasn’t gone down 100%. So they decided to shut it down for a little bit, until my inflammation goes down or my elbow gets better, so we can start a new program.”
Even before the injury, Francisco, who will make $6.5 million this season, was expected to be challenged for the closer job. Sandy Alderson said he was “not comfortable” with Francisco and with good reason; he pitched to a 5.53 ERA in a his shaky 2012. Bobby Parnell and newly signed Brandon Lyon are obvious candidates to replace Frank Francisco for ninth inning duties.
Mike Puma of the New York Post tweeted Tuesday afternoon that Collins said he will tell Parnell to begin working out at closer because of Francisco’s elbow issue.
Share on Facebook
Date: February 12, 2013