Game Recaps

Mets Lose to Reds in 10 Innings

The Reds are bound for the playoffs next week while the Mets will be headed to the golf course or the local fishing hole. Still though, the Mets played them tough Monday night but ultimately lost in extra innings.

Aaron Harang scores Mets first run Monday night against Reds.

Aaron Harang allowed two runs in the second inning to his former team, one of them on a bases loaded walk as the Reds took a 2-0 lead.

The Mets got one of the runs back in the top of the third on a sacrifice fly by Lucas Duda. However, the inning was cut short when Eric Young was thrown out foolishly trying to steal third with runners on first and second with two outs.

Duda tied the game up at two in the sixth with a solo blast into the seats in right.

Harang lasted six innings, allowing two runs. It is pretty incredible that he only allowed the two runs because he let up five hits and walked six batters. Time after time he would not allow the Reds to get the big hit. Harang struck out just one batter after fanning a total of 18 in his first two Mets starts.

Johnny Cueto went seven innings, allowing just three hits.

The Mets had no such trouble against Cueto’s replacement, someone named Sam LeCure. Eric Young and Daniel Murphy each singled to lead off the eighth. David Wright struck out on a borderline pitch for the first out. That was all for LeCure, who gave way to lefty Sean Marshall to face Duda. Duda grounded into an inning ending double play.

Ryan Hanigan singled with two outs in the eighth and speedster phenom Billy Hamilton pinch ran for him. He was off and running on the first pitch, but Terry Collins was smart enough to pitch out. The problem is, Frank Francisco, who for some reason is still pitching for this team, apparently never saw the sign because he threw the pitch right down the middle. With Travis d’Arnaud out of the box, the pitch hit the umpire in the chest protector. Francisco was able to get the third out to strand Hamilton at second.

After Ardolis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth, Tim Byrdak took the mound for the Mets in the bottom of the inning. Shin-Soo Choo led off with a double. David Aardsma came on to face Brandon Phillips. On the first pitch Choo fooled d’Arnaud by making a fake break to third. D’Arnaud threw to second, thinking he could catch him off the base and Choo pretty much walked to third. Phillips grounded out to short for the first out. Joey Votto was intentionally walked. Votto walked five times tonight. Ryan Ludwick, who left eight men on base in his previous four at bats, popped up to second for the second out. Jay Bruce was intentionally walked to load the bases, giving Aardsma no room for error. Tood Frazier was the preferred batter for Collins. Frazier flew out to center to send the game into extra innings.

Josh Satin led off the tenth with a single. He was sacrificed to second but then was doubled up on a line drive to Phillips to end the inning.

The terrible Greg Burke started the tenth inning for the Mets. With one out Devin Mesoraco reached on an infield single. Derrick Robinson hit a high chopper over Duda’s head to put runners in first and third. Burke was lifted in favor of Sean Henn. Choo hit a fly ball to left to end the game.

Reds win 3-2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Why ask?