Lost in all of the hoopla over Johan Santana’s no-hitter was the revelation on Friday that David Wright will not discuss a new contract with the Mets during the season. He reiterated it on Saturday.
“I made the decision before the year even started,” Wright told ESPNNewYork.com. “We kinda stuck to that and like I said, the last few days it’s been much to do about nothing. I felt like it’s just time to let it be known so that there aren’t any more questions and other guys aren’t being bothered by it either.”
Once again, Wright is putting the team over his personal needs.
“It’s just not necessary,” he said. “As I said, I think with the good vibes that are going on right now and the good surrounding this club, I just feel somewhat selfish to be talking about myself, talking about me when we should be talking about we.”
Wright has a $16 million option for next season, so it’s not like anything needs to be done right now. But it makes sense to get it done before next season starts so it doesn’t have to be an issue.
Sandy Alderson said early last week that he plans to talk to Wright’s agents soon, but that an offer would not necessarily be made.